Putting thoughts and deeds into words greatly improves my understanding of topics and thus I am writing this post. It will cover setting up a mail server on Debian 8.7 (jessie) server using postfix, dovecot, LMTP and virtual mailboxes. Another blog post including quota, sieve, spam filtering (through SpamAssassin and various restrictions) is soon™ to follow.
This tutorial assumes the following setup:
- a Debian 8.7 (jessie) server with root privileges
- a static IP address and FQDN with configurable r/DNS record, a valid TLS/SSL certificate (covered in this post)
- non blocked mail ports for SMTP (25), Submission (587), IMAPS (993)
Continue reading “How to setup a mail server on Debian 8 (jessie) using postfix, dovecot and LMTP”
Having the goal of offering a safe way to communicate for friends and nearby living people I decided to setup my own Jabber / XMPP server using Debian 8.7 (jessie). The most compelling aspects of ejabberd are it’s scalability, it’s robustness and the fact that it is so well documented.
This guide is structured into two parts. It commences with the essentials and closes with enabling various options (linking ejabberd with mysql, file transfer proxy via mod_proxy65).
Continue reading “How to setup a Jabber / XMPP server on Debian 8 (jessie) using ejabberd”
This blog post is about building a foundational working environment for whatever you have planed with your (virtual) server, let’s assume a fresh installation of Debian 8.7 (jessie).
We will setup the DNS record(s) using BIND and generate TLS/SSL certificates via certbot.
Continue reading “Foundational setup on a Debian 8 (jessie) virtual server (DNS via BIND, apache2, certbot (TLS/SSL))”
This is my first blog-post ever, but i felt the need to publish after reading lots of tutorials, each ending with “it kinda works”. Well, my solution works pretty well, so here are the details.
To get multiroom audio in sync working you need pulseaudio-sinks exposed over network. This is doable with openwrt but has a couple of drawbacks:
- openwrt’s package of pulseaudio runs in system-mode and there is some still unsolved problems using pulseaudio on the same machine with paplay and other tools (see this post). We will solve this 🙂
- zeroconf / avahi is not working, so you need to add the sinks manually. This works pretty well with a script i updated from here
- but the MAIN REASON people gave up is stuttering. There are 2 reasons for this: 1. People using rtp in a wireless-bridged network (standard openwrt way to do things) 2. People using the wrong samplerate on the host. We will also solve this!
Continue reading “multiroom synced audio using openwrt and pulseaudio (with and without rtp)”
This is a simple map of our home lab environment: Continue reading “homelab”